This crowdfunding project has ended, but you can still support the Tufts Daily here. Thank you for your continued support!
he Tufts Daily was founded in 1980, and is the only independent student newspaper at Tufts University. The Tufts Daily produces 1500 copies of every issue, every day Monday through Friday throughout the academic year. The Daily thrives with the help of some 175 student writers, editors, photographers, graphic designers, layout editors and copy editors, who in total spend around 1000 hours a week bringing the most up-to-date news to the faculty, students and community at Tufts. Though the time commitment of the Daily is different for everyone who works on it, we have found that some students have not been able to contribute as much as they'd like to the Daily because of financial restraints. In an effort to address this, The Tufts Daily has recently embarked on several initiatives to increase the inclusiveness of the paper. Our goal is to make it so that anyone and everyone can put as much time into the paper as they wish to, regardless of their financial situation.
Last semester, the Daily was proud to start The Tufts Daily Support Fund, in which two first-year students were awarded $500 each in order to subsidize their time spent working at the Daily. This semester, we revamped and expanded the Support Fund, so that we were able to subsidize the work of three Daily contributers. We hope that the funds raised here will allow us to continue to expand this Support Fund, as well as our other inclusivity initiative, The Tufts Daily Work Study Program. Through this program, the Daily can register those on the paper's masthead as employees of the University if they receive federal or university-funded work study. This way, students can devote more time to working on the paper, instead of having to take up an additional on-campus job in order to support themselves. This program works by the federal government or the university paying 75 percent of students' hourly work study wages and the Daily paying the other 25 percent. Funds raised would help us cover the cost of 25 percent of students' hourly wages.
We thank you for any and every donation you can make towards these initiatives, and please feel free to reach out with any questions you may have!